Capt. JG

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

I'm against that also. Jib sheets should be tied with a bowline with 6
inches or so of bitter end. The boat I sail on regularly has fairly old
running rigging, certainly none of it hi-tech. Some of it is quite stiff,
but it's still workable. Never had a problem, but I'm not saying it's
impossible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm with you here, well tied bowlines shouldn't come loose often. I've
had it happen a few times on a lazy sheet but I've had more sheets
break than bowlines wiggle loose. I really don't like putting hardware
onto the clews of non-boomed jibs. Jibs will flog and eventually
somebody will get hit by them. I nearly lost my brother when he was
hit by a jib that had tied sheets on it. Knocked him out cold and I'm
sure he'd be dead if we'd had hardware on the clew.

-- Tom