Dennis Pogson

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:55:07 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

What is the best headsail sheet attachment method? Clearly I don't
want a metal flabingis up there flailing around but I'd like to be
able to easily remove the sheets so I can use the same ones on the
working jib. Which knot?

All of that is sort of mutually exclusive. If you want to be able to
easily remove the sheets, AND clear easily around the shrouds, your
best bet is a nice sleek metal flabingis. That's what most racing
boats use, and they typically weigh less than the D-ring which can
also give you a good smack.

In lieu of that, there is no substitute for a good bowline knot. It
has been the traditional way for a kazillion years because it is
strong, reliable and easy to untie. The downside is that a bowline
will hang on the shrouds once in a while, and some crew members never
seem to master tying one in a fast and efficient way.

If they can't tie a bowline they shouldn't be on a yacht.

Dennis.