Roger Long

Default Jib sheet questions and hand wringing

I just went down to my lair to teach myself how to splice Sta-Set.
Foolishly, I decided to start right out on my new main sheet. I got to
step #67 of the instructions and something didn’t look right. ****! I
don’t know if I wasn’t paying attention or if the drum was on the
wrong spool but I’ve got Sta-Set X! FYI, you can’t switch mid stream
from the instructions for one type to the other, at least at my level
of experience. Now it’s too short for the main sheet. Anybody want 41
feet of 7/16" Sta-Set X?

Fortunately, it’s just long enough for a new Genoa sheet giving me an
excuse to replace those this year rather than next. N.E. Ropes web
site lists Sta-Set as "Excellent" for jib sheets and Sta-SetX as only
"good". I assume this is because of the better handling qualities of
the former. OTOH I’m always taking up on the headsail sheets on my
wide sheeting base boat so maybe the lower stretch is a good trade
off.

Now my questions:

Will the stiffer Sta-SetX make it harder for my typically young and
inexperienced crews to get the sheets on and off the winches briskly?
Should I just take my lumps and go with the "excellent" regular
Sta-Set?

What is the best headsail sheet attachment method? Clearly I don’t
want a metal flabingis up there flailing around but I’d like to be
able to easily remove the sheets so I can use the same ones on the
working jib. Which knot? Now that I have one half of a set, it’s got
to be a knot that goes in the end. Minimal tendency to hang up on the
stays is also important.

I have a vague memory of something about running a spliced eye through
the clew cringle and then the other sheet through the eye to secure it
and reverse for the other side. Or, maybe each bitter end just goes
through it’s own eye. Anybody have experience with something like
this?

--

Roger Long