JohnH

Default Yo yo yo - RCE...

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 01:09:30 -0500, "RCE" wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
RCE wrote:

You bought that Tom-Tom GPS system right?

What's your personal opinion?

I like it. Easy to use and very intuitive once you learn the basics.
I use the cheapie - TomTom 300 (I think) with the SD memory card.

I just bought Mrs.E. the TomTom 700 with the mini hard disk drive. She
loves it.

It's a great little GPS - probably similar to the similarly priced
Garmin, but the TomTom has a bit of a sense of humor to it. You can
program things like fuel stations within a programmable distance and
assign it a sound. I use a cow, going MOOOOOO.....

I used it to travel to Norfolk last week. It walked me right up to the
front door of my kid's house on a government housing development.

Has a few quirks, but nothing that common sense does not correct.

RCE

How do they handle updates? Free or by subscription?

Dan

I think .... they are free for a year, but don't hold me to that. You get a
card - like a credit card - and the GPS somehow will connect to your cell
phone (bluetooth?). There are other travel services you can subscribe to.
I haven't used any of this yet and probably never will. It's interesting
though - when I first bought it back in November, I tried entering my son's
address in Norfolk and it didn't have the street name in the stored memory.
I assumed this was because it is a military housing area. Yet, when I drove
to his house from Florida that month, it showed the road on the display.
Last week when I drove down there again I tried putting his address in as a
destination before I left and it recognized it and calculated a route right
to his front door. How it updated the data, I have no idea.

Those that are looking for a heavy duty sophisticated GPS system won't be
satisfied with the TomTom. It's beauty is it's simplicity and ease of use.
You can set it for a "3D" display or a "2D" and display the map in several
orientations.... North up, direction of travel, etc.

RCE

Did you mount it to your windshield? Is it removable and remountable in
another auto?
--
'Til next time,

John H