Jeff

Default What is the ultimate navigation tool? Was - RDF (radio directionfinding) ... do you ?

Larry wrote:
Jeff wrote in :

Ah, now you're claiming that it was illegal to cruise the Maine coast
before GPS! You're cracking me up, Larry!

Unfortunately, there's not "stupidity charge" for going to sea without the
latest and best equipment. One guy docked at J-dock in an empty slip
rented by a friend. He didn't stay long, just long enough to go up to the
marina office and rent a slip for the night. He couldn't call them because
HE DIDN'T HAVE A VHF RADIO OR CELLPHONE! The gas dock was full.

It's amazing how many boats are equipped like this.....

Unfortunately, not everyone get to crew on a rich person's boat with
all the latest gear, updated every year. Most of us make do with the
best we can. All the gear in the world doesn't compensate for lack of
knowledge and experience. I remember watching a 50 foot trawler run
aground on what looked like obvious shoaling to me. When I asked if
they need help he just mumbled "I don't understand ... we were going
right down the magenta line ..." This was on the ICW in GA.

30 years no one I knew had VHF, LORAN, or RADAR. Some of us had depth
sounders and RDF. But we all knew how to take a running fix, we all
knew how to read the water.