purple_stars

Default Charging batteries simultaneously with both solar and wind

Da Kine wrote:
[snip]
I've been told by owners that the 6 volt batteries are the best but I
have never liked the idea of losing one and really losing 2. Maybe next
time I will give them a try.

As for the 16.8 volt thing, the majority of high end chargers all offer
that. It can't be that bad can it? I'm still into just buying new ones
but I know people that zap theirs and they say it works for them.

hi da kine,

the 6 volts are "better" because of plate thickness and material used
to make the plates, and they are sometimes easier to service, and they
can have tougher boxes so they are harder to puncture, but that's about
it. plate thickness is the biggest thing, with thicker plates being
able to handle a lot more use. i don't replace mine like you do, i
just "over-charge" them sometimes and watch the water levels. it's
really not much use to get heavier better made batteries if you don't
gas them sometimes because they'll get crap on the plates just as fast
as a walmart marine battery and quit holding a charge after enough
cycles. the heavier plates are most useful to people who aren't afraid
to gas them on occasion like you are supposed to.