otnmbrd

Default RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

Gary wrote in

otnmbrd wrote:

GPS has facilitated accurate navigation to a degree

that was only dreamed of in the past. It should be your first line
piece of kit when offshore, not at the exculsion of anything else but
certainly head and shoulders above all the rest.
In my opinion the only better way to navigate is by visual fix or
radar fix. Even then I check the fixes against GPS.

Gaz

No one argues the value of GPS. I frequently mention shipboard
procedures, fully realizing that some things acceptable on a ship are
not acceptable on a smaller cruising vessel, since the space
available for backup and more importantly electrical power sources is
considerably different.
Personally, I'm still using GPS as my backup to check my visual/radar
fixes (which I consider to be more "real world" true) until all
Charts have been corrected using GPS/DGPS readings.
The Major point...... NO one systems is perfect. To rely solely on
one system is to invite disaster.

otn

What did I say?

How you got there is the problem.
You tend to devalue other methods/systems and there usefullness and
importance, whereas I tend to emphasize other systems/methods and there
usefullness and importance to the overall issues of safety.
We may come up with the same or similar conclusions regarding GPS, but
we approach it differently.

otn