Roger Long

Default How Long ???

New planes, that's a different matter. When it comes to old planes,
even a few weeks old, there is a principle in aviation regulations
that is far more true of boats than most of us realize.

If the wings fall off the plane, it's the fault of the pilot. The
pilot is captain of the aircraft. Just like the captain of a ship, he
(or she) was supposed to have been aware enough of how the maintenance
was being conducted to be sure that the bolts the hold the wings on
were tightened. If he knows he has a great maintenance crew, he may
responsibly let it go at that. If he knows that the company has hired
a bunch of jerks, he should go look at the bolts himself.

This isn't always fair. If a ship loses it's steering and goes up on
the rocks because someone in the black gang didn't grease the steering
gear, it's the captain's fault. True, the captain can't be expected
to go down and check the greasing of every piece of equipment but he's
supposed to be aware enough of the quality of his crew and exercise
enough oversight of the staff in the chain of command that he can be
sure that stuff is getting done.

RESPONSIBILITY MEANS THAT SOMEONE CAN LET YOU DOWN THROUGH NO FAULT OF
YOUR OWN AND IT'S STILL YOUR FAULT! If you don't like it, get another
hobby. Stamp collecting is nice and relaxing.

A surveyor may really screw you up but evaluating the surveyor and the
quality of his work is part of your job as a boat owner. He works for
you. You are his boss and his supervisor. You are buying a boat.
You are going to be captain of it and that responsibility starts when
you decide to buy it. You may not know enough to fully fulfil these
responsibilities but, welcome to real life, you are NEVER going to
know enough and have enough experience to carry the responsibilities
given you with complete confidence that nothing will happen.

The whole damn society is falling apart because nobody will take
goddamn responsibility for anything anymore.

That's why I flew planes and sail boats. Because, when I accept that
complete responsibility and hold my fate in my hands (along with
anybody foolish enough to tag along) I'm truly alive.

--

Roger Long

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:38:21 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote

You really don't have a lot of recourse other than suing ....

Sheesh! No wonder people like me have to give up flying, doctors
have
to give up practicing medicine, we're all paying through the nose
for
insurance.

I didn't say it was a good recourse, and certainly not one to be
taken
lightly, but it is just about your only option if somthing truly
major
pops up - sort of like the wings falling off your new plane as it
takes off for the first time. :-)