DSK

Default What is the ultimate navigation tool? Was - RDF (radio directionfinding) ... do you ?

Larry wrote:
RDF is great as long as there is NO DRIFT, water current or wind drift.

If you don't learn to take that into account and just follow the RDF to the
station, you end up in this big spiral to the target, the long way around!

GPS, of course, doesn't suffer these 1930's problems.

Well, all it's doing is solving the relative bearing drift
for you. If a person doesn't know how to do this for
themselves, then they can't navigate. Period. It's one of
the basic skills.

Of course, under most circumstances you can let the machine
do it for you. But I'm of the old school that says it's
better to know how, yourself.

Another poster here said, a long time ago: "When people
complain that learning to navigate the old-fashioned way is
difficult, slow, & boring, you can always answer that
crashing your boat into the rocks is easy, fast, and
exciting!" It's the best answer I've heard.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King