posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie

Default Keel cooler cast into lead

Glenn,
In the past I have done both bulbs and fins. The BIG thing is that the
hydraulic pressure at the bottom of a fin mold is UN F.....g
Believable!! (Fortunately - No one got hurt the day we learned all about
that.)
When we built a mold that could take about 15 (11+sf for heat) times the
pressure water would exert, the next pour was still nervous but
fortunately dull.

Cooling takes WAY longer than I expected.

Matt Colie

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

No. I cast the bulb years ago. Everything is ready to cast the fin except
my intestinal fortitude. :-) The fin is a lot more complicated and I have
this recurring nightmare that I am going to get something slightly out of
alignment and then have to sail through life slightly catawampus. But then
I have been accused of that by the neighbors already. :-)