Jeff

Default What is the ultimate navigation tool? Was - RDF (radio directionfinding) ... do you ?

Larry wrote:
Jeff wrote in :

The same will happen with a GPS, unless you know how to use cross
track error. And its certainly better than simply following a compass
bearing.

It will? How's that? My GPS has a few chart plotters connected to it.
They all have at least one, even without the chart plug. You know where
the waypoint is. It draws a line you follow, even if you're steering it by
hand.

How do you spiral in with this? You might be looking at the wrong display!

Ah! So you're claiming that a GPS isn't really a GPS unless it has a
chartplotter, or two. Sorry, I didn't understand. And you know
you're being set because that little picture of a boat keeps drifting
off to one side. This is completely different from using RDF and
compass, where the compass bearing will keep shifting to one side.