Thomas Wentworth

Default How Long ???

Roger that, Roger ... but this is actually a hypothetical story... in
anticipation of the real deal..

As I have been mucking about boats, especially the old ones which I love,
the deck keeps getting more and more attention.

Most items on a boat are dealable. But, the deck? For the fun of it I
called a boatyard and asked "what is the going rate for a deck refinish
job"? The guy said they just finished one and it cost $30,000! I'm not
kidding!

I almost fell over, well I was on the phone so more like dropped the phone.

When I was younger and dump as a stump, I bought a full keel boat. Took a
look, bought it, and went sailing.

Never had much in the way of problems... the AT4 did die. Now, I read
Casey's book, and worry.

Too many stories about people who buy low and then find out later why the
boat was "low".

----
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Hypothetical? Give us a break. Few of us were born yesterday.

Screw the deck core problems and go look at this 1981 Endeavor 32
Listing ID 38308-1494712

St. Augustine Yacht Sales

Phone 904-829-1589

I don't know squat about this boat or this broker or this boat but, if my
boat yard called up and said my boat burned up last night, I'd be on the
plane tomorrow with the insurance check in my hand to look at this one.
That's the judgement of a lifetime with boats and a year of sailing and
refitting ours.

These boats are all solid glass with a minimum of construction features
that can lead to repairs requiring major disassembly. They have very
sensibly designed interiors that stay light, airy, and well ventilated.
There is lots of wood. Much of the construction detailing give the
impression that they were built by hobbits (close neat fits but almost
nothing is straight) but it gives them a certain charm often lacking in
glass boats.

Shoal draft, a good turn of speed in cruising terms, wonderful handling
characteristics, great cockpit, comfortable and reassuring motion. You
can find a boat that does almost anything better but few that sum it all
together as well. They are almost always priced below comparable boats.

Our boat was listed at the same price as this one and we got it for 15 K.

--

Roger Long

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
Dave ,,, here is an example of a problem that I haven't read about
here...

Hypothetical story;

Buyer finds boat ,, boat is looking pretty good. Buyer and Seller come
to terms on price, subject to survey.

The survey turns up deck problems. Say, some of the deck core is rotten
and the deck will need repair. Then, refinish I suppose.

The Buyer decides to look around for a repair .. so that he/she can
factor in the repair cost and ask the Seller to work with him/her to get
the repair done and the deal done.

One problem.. the boatyards are so expensive that their repair will kill
the deal. What does the Buyer do now?

The Buyer can't go through with the deal even though he/she wants to buy
the boat. Does the Buyer approach the Seller and say "find a repair guy
or the deals's off" ? I suppose that would be the case.

I guess what I am asking is: What happens if the repair isn't that
complicated but there isn't any affordable repair people in the area?

===
"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:59:41 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"

said:

Duh? I don't see the average boat owner walking out on a purchase
because
the fire extinguisher isn't working just right ...

Skip the "Duh" crap, Thomas. It betrays your own limitations, not mine.

That was precisely my point. However, depending on what part of the
country
you live in you may find a lot of potential buyers who feel they have to
try
and haggle the last dime on the price. That kind of buyer tries to take
quite literally Wayne's "issues that you did not know about at the time
of
your offer." The back of my hand to such a buyer.