DSK

Default How many wooden boats still in government service?

Fred Miller wrote:
I believe that our navy continues to employ minesweepers with wood hulls and
bronze and stainless steel metallic parts to minimize their magnetic
signature for obvious reasons. See, for example,
http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02idx.htm

I'm pretty sure that all the old wooden minesweeps have been
decommissioned.

http://federalvoice.dscc.dla.mil/fed...nesweeper.html

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/..._bt549-97.html

The Navy started acquiring fiberglass minesweepers approx 20
years ago (and that's not new). Most minesweeping nowadays
appears to be done by helicopter, assisted by SEAL teams
(who in turn are assisted by specially trained real seals &
porpoises)

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to a
MS-Powerpoint article about minesweeps & minesweeping that I
thought was excellent

navsci.berkeley.edu/ns401/NS401%20Fall%2005/Lecture18-Mine%20Warfare%20mjh.ppt

DSK