Gordon Wedman

Default Charging batteries simultaneously with both solar and wind

"Glenn A. Heslop" wrote in message
So...maybe y'all can answer this question. I have been charging my
batteries with my Honda 2000i, using a shorepower cable and an adaptor
plugged into the 120V output of the Honda. The batteries are then charged
by the 120V--12V multi-stage charger. I've noticed that the charger
light
rarely changes from red to green to indicate the second stage of charging.
It does seem like we have to run the generator alot...though my wife and
kids like to burn power.

Would charging be faster by using the 12v leads from the Honda generator
right to the batteries? Better for the batteries?

Glenn.
s/v Seawing
www.seawing.net

I think you first need to figure out what state of charge your batteries are
at. Either use a hygrometer or disconnect the charging source and measure
the battery voltage 30 minutes later.
If they are basically fully charged I would guess that your charger is
either struggling to put in the last few amps at a float voltage or its
defective.

If the batteries are discharged it would seem your charger can't keep up
with the discharge rate. I would measure the voltage at the batteries while
the charger is operating. It should be higher than a float voltage of say
13.2 volts. If its charging at 13.8-14.3 volts it would seem to be working
OK and just not have enough output to keep up. I believe the Honda only
puts out 8 amps DC so its not likely to be an improvement over your 120vac
charger in this case.