basskisser

Default Bow-Mount Trolling Motor Recommendations

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:44:47 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:36:37 -0500, "Ray Bates"
wrote:

I'm in process of rigging a new fishing boat (18', wgt approx 1400 lbs incl.
boat, motor gas and equipment) and want to put a bow-mounted trolling motor
on it. Any recommendations? Are the ones which are wireless controlled a
good buy? Minn-kota vs Motor Guide? 12v vs. 24v (I'm a casual fisherman
not out there everyday).

I've owned Minn-Kota transom mounted motors before and liked them, but have
no experience with bow-mounted motors.

Anything I should be particularly cautious of?

Yes - don't buy a Motor Guide - they are crap and Mercury's warranty
on them suck. The are horribly engineered and prone to do interesting
things like short out at the switch.

Did I mention that Mercury's warranty on them sucks?

Did I mention that Mercury's warranty on them sucks?

I've heard that Mercury's warranty on Motor Guides suck. Is there any
truth to this?