RCE

Default How many wooden boats still in government service?

"RCE" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
While inspecting the progress on my boat yesterday, I noticed a large
vessel being completed in the same shed.

It's about a 50-footer, wooden hull, and appropriately enough it
belongs to the US Forest Service. I was told the yard was contracted to
put a new stem on her, and some other work as well. I've requested a
complete synopsis of the work that was done and some photos of the job
in progress as it might make an interesting story for the magazine.

Got me thinking- How many wooden boats are still in use by any branch
of the federal government? Anybody know of additional examples? I
suspect this 50-year old wooden patrol boat must be pretty unique- and
would have been replaced by a boat of some other material if not for
the association with the Forest Service.

How about the obvious?

USS Constitution
Homeport, Boston, MA

RCE

Official US Navy website on the USS Constitution ... interesting read for
those not fortunate to have visited her:

http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/

RCE