Glenn Ashmore

Default How long is a "fid length"

I do my own splicing and have gotten pretty good at it if I do say so
myself. For splicing double braid I usually take the diameter in 16ths, add
half again the numerator and bury that number of inches. For example 1/2"
rope is 8/16 and half again of 8 is 12 so bury 12". That is a little longer
than the 21 diameters so it works great but this is the first really high
tech single braid I have spliced and it is notoriously slick so I know it
needs more bury but "two fid lengths" doesn't help when you don't use that
manufacturer's fids.

Still think that a double Brummel would work better than a tuck and stitch
though. ;-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Terry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
Right sized fid for rope spliced...

Rule of thumb. You gotta make allowances, and then pull it tight.

You gonna do it, or get someone else to?

Terry K