Roger Long

Default How Long ???

Oh come on! Apply some of that not at all common common sense.

Cost to tighten fitting? - $0.00 Adjustment to sale prince? - $0.00
Buying the boat you want? - Priceless.

I'm talking about where the surveyor discovers something like a
pinhole leak in the gas tank fiberglassed into the bilge. No way
you'll get insurance after that has been identified without committing
a bit of fraud. If the owner had discovered it and wanted to keep the
boat, he would be out the cost of fixing it. Now that you and he have
agreed on a price and both of you assume that the tank was sound, he's
out the same amount but you're the one who has to deal with getting it
fixed.

--

Roger Long

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:17:59 GMT, "Roger Long"
said:

A good test for whether something turned up on the survey should
effect the price is whether the boat can be insured and used safely
after the sale.

That sounds good at first blush. But I don't think so. Example: the
surveyor
points out that a fitting on the boat's gasoline engine is leaking.
The
required repair is to get out a wrench and tighten the fitting.
Insurer
prolly won't insure with that problem uncorrected. Not safe to use
it with
that problem uncorrected. But if I'm the seller, and the buyer asks
for an
adjustment I say "You want out of the contract, here's your deposit.
I'll
tighten the fitting and sell the boat to somebody else."