posted to rec.boats.electronics
purple_stars

Default RFI filters?

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I am a bit worried that my pair of Danfoss BD50 compressors are going to put
out a lot of RFI so am working to isolate them by lining the compartment
with foil and putting common mode chokes on the power lines. I have found a
lot of chokes that can handle the current but they come in a variety of
inductances. How do you figure out which value to use? Especially when the
compressor will run at different speeds.

hi glenn,

honestly ? trial and error.

that's how i really do it. that's why i keep a lot of toroids and
ferrite rods around, an assortment. i just wrap the wire around a
ferrite rod a bunch of turns, tape it up, and secure it, and that's the
end of that. if i find i have some noise somewhere, i isolate where
the problem is, try some different rods or toroids near the source and
the affected equipment, etc, until the noise goes away. i wouldn't
know a thing about figuring it out upfront. and if it's really a
problem i start covering things in copper tape.