posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Nmea /dsc

Tailgunner wrote in news:2v-
:

I have the exact same problem and have found no solution.

I just can't stand to stay out of this any longer, remembering the grief
I went through with Icoms and Raymarines and Garmins on
Lionheart....sorry....

I downloaded the Icom M422 manual and note on page 15 it, very casually,
mentions you need NMEA 0183 version 2.0 or 3.01 (and no others?) data
from your GPS, neither of which, of course, old GPS receivers will
generate with their version 1.0 or 1.1 NMEA 0183 generators.
No mention is made of what baud rate or bit stream or stop bit it can
read, so we'll assume 4800 baud 8-N-1 is compatible.....for now.

Now, over on the Garmin 182, now considered "obsolete" by Garmin and
their NMEA buddies, on page 98 they want to connect port 2, the green
wire, to the Icom's NMEA input lead some idiot colored RED just so
someone would try to use it for POWER IN, red being the color of every
other power lead in the boat. Idiots! So, Garmin's green wire to Icom's
red wire, and of course everything grounded together, you hope, so let's
connect Garmin's black "ground" wire to Icom's negative power lead, just
in case the Japanese have reverted back to their love of positive-ground
devices...something they just have never gotten over. Lots of Jap stuff
still has the case ground isolated from negative for "home use" in Japan.
This, in itself, might stop the data from showing up...

On page 73, it says the Garmin supports "standard NMEA 0183 data", making
no mention of what VERSION this data is
Oops...page 99. The Garmin is NMEA Version 3.0, probably close enough to
the Icom's 3.01 to get the data.

You NMEA subscribers...what's the differences between 3.0 and 3.01?

Ok....question.....HAVE YOU PUT IN YOUR MMSI INTO THE ICOM 422 FOR YOUR
BOAT? I believe you'll find DSC is DISABLED until a valid MMSI is
programmed in FIRST to the unit, successfully.

Let's start on pg 13 of the Icom manual and program in your MMSI,
CAREFULLY AS YOU ONLY GET TWO SHOTS AT IT! If you lock the unit screwing
around entering bogus MMSIs, the unit must be returned to Icom to reset
the processor before it will accept any more MMSI numbers, rendering it
useless to try to resell to another boater...another NMEA member feature
to maximize profits. With your MMSI in it...the radio becomes useless to
anyone else.

If you don't have an MMSI, don't go any further until you get one from
Boat/US or off your ship license from FCC....and program it into the
M422.

Ok, MMSI is programmed in, Garmin is on and locked to the birds, what do
you see on the Icom display? Is the little GPS sign blinking or solid?
Blinking means GPS data IS being received, but is invalid, according to
page 15, bottom right column of the Icom manual. Garmin puts out 3 of
the 4 sentences the Icom is looking for RMC, GGA, GLL. It should have
picked RMC first, no problem. No go?......

Hmm....Let's toss caution to the wind and connect the Icom's red NMEA
input wire to the Garmin port 1 green output wire and try it. Set the
Garmin port 1 to NMEA IN/OUT. Maybe port 2 is "bad", or the cable is
screwed. Won't hurt to look at the other port. Icom respond to port 1?

Although the Garmin's manual is written for 6-year-olds and makes no
mention of changing the NMEA output baud rate, I think you can on the
advanced NMEA page of the System tab. Try switching its NMEA output to
1200 baud and see if the Icom can see that, too.

Well? Let us know what you find out and if anything we've all said did
anyone any good.....thanks.