Evan Gatehouse

Default How Long ???

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
How long should it take for a purchase to be completed when buying a
cruising sailboat.

First, find boat and visit boat. Then, go back for second visit. Meet with
owner and discuss the price etc..
Once a price has been agreed to ; draw up purchase and sales,, put money
down,,, try to find a surveyor ,,, get surveyor to come and look at boat
,,,, make repairs based on survey ,, usually means going back and forth with
owner...

So, how long should all this take?

A month? Two months?

I was just wondering .. no particular reason.

First boat:

Look at boat, make offer 10 minutes later. Broker says go and sit on
the boat for another 1/2 hour so you'll be sure. Go back in 1/2 hour,
make offer, put down deposit cheque. Broker calls owner. We haggle
over the price for 10 minutes and come to an agreement. Survey the
next weekend, money changes hands that day, we own a boat. Total time
= 8 days

2nd boat:

Look at boat, make low ball offer, get call back the next day, agree
on price. self-survey that week one lunch time (I work close to the
boat). Have it 4 or 5 days.

3rd boat:

Go and look at boat. Go and look again in a month. Think a bit and
make an offer. Go back and forth for a few days, agree on price.

Survey in 2 weeks because it's hard to find a place to haul a 23' wide
boat. Survey, haggle over items found, send certified cheque by
courier in a few days. Total time about 3-4 weeks.

Evan Gatehouse