Garland Gray II

Default How long is a "fid length"

I wasn't familiar with the Brummel until I read the NER directions. That was
after I had already spliced eyes in Amsteel (actually in the stripped core
of Warpspeed) per Samson for my spinnaker guys.
I'm thinking that as long as there are no hard jerks on the line (hmm, that
doesn't sound right), it should be fine.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
newsvrPf.487054$0l5.279736@dukeread06...
That was my problem. I am trying to splice 1/4" Samson Amsteel Blue and
all they say is "two fid lengths". I use Brion Toss's snare type
splicing wands which work with any braid up to 1" using only two sizes as
long as you know the bury length. The NE Ropes Uni-Fid is also only two
sizes so you need to know the actual bury length there too.

42 diameters is about the same as single braid Technora. Now I wonder why
Samson recommends a simple stitched tuck for Amsteel rather than a locked
Brummel which would be a lot more stable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
That's not much help, as I'm guessing Glen doesn't have a proper size
fid. I certainly don't as there are better tools for splicing.
According to my worksheet using information from Samson, a fid length is
21 times the rope diameter.

"Rich" wrote in message
The length of a "fid length" varies according to the diameter of the
line being spliced. If you have the proper sized fid for the line yo
wish to spice, the fid itself is the fid length.