R.W. Behan

Default Honda Vs Kipor, revisited

Jeff,

I have a Freedom 15 inverter/charger on the boat, which is rated at 75 amp
max charging capacity. I guess the highest charge rate I've seen (using the
boat's alternator as a source) is around 50 amps or so, but we rarely draw
down the battery bank far enought to call for really heavy duty charging.
I've used the Honda to run the Freedom 15 only once or twice, and don't
recall the max charge rate. But if you run from the Honda directly to the
batteries, the maximum, as I recall, is 8 amps. Clearly you'll do better
running 120 v. to the boat's charger.

On another topic raised in a later post: Mayberry's couldn't list their
price on the Internet, but they were happy to talk turkey on the phone, and
their price was big time attractive. Maybe Honda has tightened up some more
since then.

Skip, it's still your call, but if I had it to do again, I'd still go with
the Honda. (Call it brand loyalty, maybe. I rode Honda motorcycles for a
good many years.)

Best to all,

Dick

"Jeff" wrote in message
R.W. Behan wrote:
Hey, Skip,

I bought our 2000 from Mayberry's, and we live way the hell out here on
the West Coast. Best price anywhere on the 'Net, and as I recall they
paid for the shipping. Might be mistaken about that, but whatever the
matrix of reasons, I felt Mayberry's was the way to go.

You won't be disappointed with the genset. But read carefully about
charging batteries on your boat. You can do it directly, by hooking the
Honda 12v. output straight to the batteries, but you'll be FAR better off
running 120v. from the Honda to your boat's shore power input, and thence
to the battery charger instead. Much faster charging that way.

So, I have to ask, what charge rate do you see? My charger (and
alternator) can push about 100 Amps into my 4 golf cart batteries. Could
this be supplied with the 2000? Could I come close with the 1000?

The last time this came up it was claimed that small gensets will not
necessarily live up to their ratings with this type of load.