posted to rec.boats.electronics
Tailgunner

Default Nmea /dsc

speckfisher wrote:
Robert Miles Wrote:
Under main set-up there is an option to change the interface set-up.
Change it to NMEA out.. don't think there is an option for baud rate.
This will get it going no problems.

Regards

Bob Miles

"speckfisher" wrote in message

I have a new Icom M422 VHF and am trying to connect with a Garmin 182
GPS for the DSC function. I have contacted tech service both Icom
and
Garmin and it seems to be properly connected and all of the settings
properly set. I only get a "NO POSITION" reading on my vhf when I go
ck it . I left it on for about an hour to see if it need time to
initialize but still didn't work . Could it be that somehow they are
incompatible with each other ? How can I check that? Also is it
possible to check to see if the NMEA in/out are working on both sets?
Any help would be appreciated

--
speckfisher

I have the config set the way the Garmin tech. told me on COMM2 .The
baude rate is not an option to change. The wiring config. should be ok
because both the Garmin and Icom techs e-mailed me the wiring diag. and
I feel comfortable that the wiring is ok. The connections should also be
ok because I cut and spliced them about 5 times and still could not get
anything.
I ck to see if the the gps is communicating with the vhf by pushing the
"POS/DSC" button for a few seconds and it should show my position on the
vhf screen but it shows "NO POS" whitch according to the Icom tech means
the gps is not communicating with the vhf. I don't if the gps is
receiving from the vhf to plot someone elses position on the vhf
screen. I don't know anyone in the area to ck it with

I have the exact same problem and have found no solution.