Glenn Ashmore

Default Hi test anchor chain ??

Garland, All G40 is stamped "G4", "HT-4" or "M" on each link with G4 being
the most common so that is not an indication that it is ACCO. Theoretically
mislabeling chain is a Federal offence so if you bought it from a reasonably
reputable dealer it probably is G40. Even the Chinese HT will be very close
in strength to US brands but the galvanizing might not hold up as well.

I picked up a number of samples when I was considering adding chain to my
inventory. (To much hassle and to little profit.) The only difference I
have found between ACCO, Campbell, Feeney and a couple of imports is that
the ACCO has slightly better galvanizing. The stamping on all appears to be
in about the same place on each link but the extra galvanizing on the ACCO
makes the stamp a look little blurred compared to the others.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
I have bought from a supplier some anchor chain that supposedly is Acco hi
test G4.

Now I have to wonder, since I didn't see the drum it came from, how do I
know that it is indeed hi test, much less Acco ? I spoke w/ Acco,
wondering if I could send them a short length for inspection or even
testing. I was assured by Acco that if it had "G4" stamped on each link,
which it does, it was Acco chain. Hi test chain from other mfg would have
a different marking.

Somehow that alone doesn't convince me. Years ago there were examples of
flagrant Tiawanese copies of US marine items. The "G4" stamp on my chain
looks somewhat erratic, which is what first troubled me.

I don't know how I can know for sure whether my chain is indeed hi test
(other than testing a sample).

Has anyone else had this doubt ?