Jeff

Default Honda Vs Kipor, revisited

R.W. Behan wrote:
Hey, Skip,

I bought our 2000 from Mayberry's, and we live way the hell out here on the
West Coast. Best price anywhere on the 'Net, and as I recall they paid for
the shipping. Might be mistaken about that, but whatever the matrix of
reasons, I felt Mayberry's was the way to go.

You won't be disappointed with the genset. But read carefully about
charging batteries on your boat. You can do it directly, by hooking the
Honda 12v. output straight to the batteries, but you'll be FAR better off
running 120v. from the Honda to your boat's shore power input, and thence to
the battery charger instead. Much faster charging that way.

So, I have to ask, what charge rate do you see? My charger (and
alternator) can push about 100 Amps into my 4 golf cart batteries.
Could this be supplied with the 2000? Could I come close with the 1000?

The last time this came up it was claimed that small gensets will not
necessarily live up to their ratings with this type of load.