otnmbrd

Default What is the ultimate navigation tool? Was - RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

Gary wrote in

otnmbrd wrote:
Gary wrote in

How does putting a GPS fix on the chart help you forget your boat's
reaction to weather, currents (it tells you them), DRing etc? If
anything it proves your estimated position.

Sure it tells you what, but it doesn't tell you why. Hey, good short
term plan, the GPS says steer 270..... course, this could mean you'll
fight the currents/winds , rather than use them: drive over that
rock.....

The GPS doesn't say steer anything. It just tells you where you are,
exactly, most of the time.

Generally the units I use tell you the course to steer to the next
waypoint.

GPS is a tool and all too many consider it the ultimate tool. It's
not and all too many get into the habit of forgetting to question the
"why" of what it says.

It is currently the ultimate tool but not the only tool and not
infallible. But it is the best.....generally, most of the time,
right?

For offshore navigation, I'd say yes. For inshore, I'd say no, but it
ranks close.

What, in your opinion is the ultimate navigation tool?

Me

BTW, the GPS doesn't tell you your boat's reaction to weather,
currents. It's telling you your reaction to the cumulative conditions
you are in. YOU have to figure out your boats reactions to weather,
currents.

otn

It is the total cumulative reaction that counts. It's the same
information you get off two fixes whether taken by stars, radar,
visually, or GPS. The information is total cumulation of wind and
current affecting the ship. That is what you want. The GPS just does
it quicker and more accurately and more often.

No, it only tells you the cumulative. Once again, YOU need to figure out
the "why" to know how the "cumulative" came about.
For instance, you are on a displacement type boat with 20k of wind on
the port beam. Your GPS tells you, you are making your course good (no
set or drift). What does that tell you?

otn