Len

Default Charging batteries simultaneously with both solar and wind

On 6 Mar 2006 11:06:35 -0800, "Da Kine"
wrote:

Take out your regulator. You don't need it unless your boat is
unattended at which point you don't need as much power anymore.

Your wind gen will only be able to push about 1.5 volts at the most,
above our batter charge. Your solar panels will charge at about the
same. Your battery is a big resistor and you don't have to worry
about the voltage at its source only what goes into the battery.

I have a 4 winds and 2 panels that make about 10 amps at 16 volts.
Unless it is just blowing like stink for days, I never have enough
juice to maintain usage anyway and in a few days or so I have to run
the engine.

If you absolutely must have a regulator, call sun electronics in Miami
and get them to sell you what you need. That's the place that told me
NOT to buy a regulator from them because I didn't need it.

By the way, if you are using it for solar power in any way, there is no
sales tax on what you buy in Florida and most other states. If you buy
a solar panel from West marine and they charge tax, call them bad names
for ripping you off. Sun will let you fill out a form and then there is
no tax.

They are at
NE 15th
Miami FL
1-305-381-6166

Thanks for your reply.

You say the same things as my windgenny-manufacturer (Kiss). He says
"you're doing your darndest to get as much juice as you can, so why
throw power away by iusing a regulator...."

But do I understand you correctly, you do not use a regulator for the
solar panels either?

Without the regulator, will the current stay under 14 volts when the
battery is less than say 70% ?

Fair winds, Len