posted to rec.boats.electronics
You

Default Equipment for Direct Satellite Image Reception

In article ,
Larry wrote:

krj wrote in news:VDGOf.18057$f6.16359
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

OK Larry, a little info in weather satellites. There are two types. The
one's at geostationary orbit are the GEOS birds and use S-band
communications. The other ones are POES and are the ones that transmit
on VHF. The POES are in a polar orbit ~530 miles up. There are currently
three that provide APT. NOAA 12,17 and 18. There are two passes over a
given point per day. The Hamtronics works great with a 5/8 wave 2 meter
antenna. Just a few noise bands occasionally. I had an Eggbeater on the
boat but it is too big and found the 5/8 wave to work almost as good.
krj

I wonder if the scanners on the 1600 Mhz band will pick up the other birds
and if the software will decode it?

the Ham guys have been getting these images from both the POES and
GEobirds for years. Just do a google on NOAA Sat Spec's, and you can get
all the Downlink Freqs, and coding types for each catagory of Birds....