posted to rec.boats.paddle
Brian Nystrom

Default kayak rack

twilightrob wrote:
I have 2 10ft rec kayaks that I want to transport ontop of my Honda
Passport w/ factory rack. What is the best rack (for the least money :0
)? I would like to make some highway trips as well as local travel.

There really are no inexpensive racks. You either use the cheap foam
blocks and straps, which pose risks of damage the the car and are not
especially secure, or you buy a real rack, which costs significant
money. One in-between alternative that seems to elude many people is
buying a used rack through local classified ads or ebay. You can easily
save half or more of the cost of the rack and all you need to make the
rack work is the clip kit for your specific vehicle. Before buying, look
up your vehicle in the online fit system of the rack manufacturer
(Saris, Thule, Yakima), then look for a rack with the same crossbars and
feet. You may even get lucky and find one with the right clip kit.