Jeff

Default RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

Gary wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:

Yes, it's wrong. They no longer teach celestial.

You keep saying that. However, celestial navigation is shown as part
of the navigation course at the Naval Academy, which is required for
many majors.

The report from a few years ago which created your myth was that
celestial was no longer required for *all* majors.

I am in the Navy. We only teach celestial nav to navigators. In the
past all officers had to learn it and do it. Now you have to learn it
yourself to pass the command exams. It is not taught to everyone.
Almost no-one uses it.

I was talking about the US Naval Academy, where they certainly teach
it. Also, you're saying that celestial is required by the Canadian
Navy for command posts; this seems more significant than whether they
teach it.

Of course no one actually uses celestial, other than as an occasional
novelty. However, even a few hours exposure to it is enough for some
students to learn the basics, such as the meaning of a Noon Sight.