posted to rec.boats.electronics
Electricky Dicky

Default Load In Use Indicator Circuit Needed

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 14:07:57 -0500, "jon doe" wrote:

Hi:

Thanks for the responses. The load is a very quiet water pump. It draws
between 5 and 40 amps depending on water load. We need to know not just when
the on/off breaker is activated, but when the pump is actually on and
drawing battery load. The circuit will drive an indicator lamp via a relay.

I have some small reed relays, do you think a coil of the pump's feed wire
will trip it to make contact? That would be easy.

Thanks

"jon doe" wrote in message

Just look at the specs on reed relay elements. if trigger level is 100
Ampere turns then 20 turns around element will give you what you want.
Simple option for encapsulated relays is to break open case and cut
off existing fine wire coil. You now have a former to wind your heavy
gauge wire.. Otherwise wind your wire around a screwdriver of similar
diameter to the element then slide element in. I suggest that you do
not wind directly on element - they are fragile!
I have done just what you are requiring with a water pump. the reed
switches on a battery clock. Runtime of clock tells me the state of my
water tank. Its a very cheap but working option.

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
Please remove your hat when replying