Michael Porter

Default Non skid deck paint

Yeah, that works, but when the sand is a different color from your top
coat (which it usually is) it looks a little funny when the paint
wears off the tops of the grains and not in the "valleys" , leaving
speckles.

You _can_ just dump a blanket of sand on and then sweep it up later.

Cheers,

Michael Porter

"Da Kine" wrote:

I don't know if this has been said yet but what ever you do, do not mix
sand in your paint! I did that 22 years ago and learned the hard way.

I've used just about everything there is in the way of non skid and
paint with sand is the best of all of them but what you do is a little
different that most people know to do. First, tape off an area you
want for non skid and be sure it is small enough that you can paint it
and leave it wet for at least a few minutes. Take a flower sifter and
add the grit. I used sand blasting sand once - another big mistake.
Use the synthetic stuff if you can't get walnut chip. A sifter will
spread the grit much nicer then anything else. The paint MUST be wet
when you add the grit. After the paint dries, sweep off the excess and
paint another coat over the top.

Of all the glue on, stick on, whatevers - sand in paint is the best
traction and easiest to fix to make look nice (oh yeah, save some paint
for fixing spots where your best friend drops your plow anchor).

Michael Porter Naval Architect / Boatbuilder
mporter at mp-marine dot com
www.mp-marine.com