Gary

Default RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

Da Kine wrote:
Differential, WAAS and so on only work in certain areas where it is
transmitted. It does not work, as far as I know, in most of the
cruising grounds like The Bahamas and south. If I am wrong, correct me
but I am pretty sure about that.

Certainly the DGPS and WAAS is more reliable and more widely available
than waves and clouds for navigation.

But neither are critical unless you need to know where you are down to
two or three yards. Even GPS without SA shut off was good enough for
most users.

There is one way to counter a strike that is well known. It is to cover
your building with chicken wire. Doing so lets the current go around
what is inside. Tinfoil does the same thing (so we hope). I stated that
I don't know anyone that has first hand knowledge of a strike and
tinfoil. Unless you know of someone that lost a gps that was wrapped in
foil from a strike, please refrain from being so predictably newsgroup
anal. There is good information to be had and most everyone has
surprisingly behaved themselves. Do you really want to be the one who
knows everything except doesn't?

You cover your boat with chicken wire and don't forget the ball cap.