Wayne.B

Default RDF (radio direction finding) ... do you ?

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 21:42:58 -0500, Jeff wrote:

On this I think you're dead wrong in piloting situations. I'm not
saying I'd throw away my GPS (or the spare) but only a fool ignores a
depth sounder, compass bearings, log, radar, etc.

Of course, indispensible for coastal piloting.

The original statement that I rebutted was that "no one should rely
solely on GPS when OFFSHORE".

Where I come from offshore means off soundings, and the only thing you
will see on your radar is other boats.

Dead reckoning is fine but after several days OFFSHORE you will be
lucky if your DR plot is within 10 miles of actual.

I stand by my statement, there are no viable OFFSHORE alternatives to
GPS.