posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle,uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Kemper

Default Campervan and Kayak

AlexS wrote in message ...
I have a VW campervan with a top that hinges up from the side and I want to
carry a sea kayak. Top bars are, of course, not an option. Any ideas
or
experiences please?

Sets of goal posts on the bumpers?

Seriously though:

I have seen several VW campers with hinged tops which have been fitted with
bars and carry kayaks above the tilting roof.
A visit to the regatta course at Nottingham will be an eye opener for you.
There are often several such campers attending the sprint regattas. There
are sprint regattas during April, May, June, July & September, but I don't
have the exact dates to hand. The BCU website may have the dates if you care
to look.

Thule sell bolt-on plates simulating very short lengths of gutter which then
allows you to use standard roof bars on vehicles that otherwise cannot have
a rack fitted.

Otherwise you could use a trailer, you could get someone else to transport
your sea kayak for you, or you could get a folding sea kayak.

David Kemper
Not a fan of limited options.