posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Equipment for Direct Satellite Image Reception

krj wrote in news:VDGOf.18057$f6.16359
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

OK Larry, a little info in weather satellites. There are two types. The
one's at geostationary orbit are the GEOS birds and use S-band
communications. The other ones are POES and are the ones that transmit
on VHF. The POES are in a polar orbit ~530 miles up. There are currently
three that provide APT. NOAA 12,17 and 18. There are two passes over a
given point per day. The Hamtronics works great with a 5/8 wave 2 meter
antenna. Just a few noise bands occasionally. I had an Eggbeater on the
boat but it is too big and found the 5/8 wave to work almost as good.
krj

I wonder if the scanners on the 1600 Mhz band will pick up the other birds
and if the software will decode it?