posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson

Default Hydraulic pump/motor Question

Michael Briggs wrote:
Hi,
A bit off topic but hoping someone in here might have the experience
to help so here goes.

Have the need to put together a generator. Have a cat 3208 motor and
allison automatic with a pto output. The motor is the drive engine
for a large boat(stern wheel boat, 65 foot). I want to drive the gen
head with the pto through hydraulic pump, flow control valve,
hydraulic motor to the head. The head is a 12kw that needs 22 hp at
1800 rpm to run at full load. The motor will run from idle to aprox
1000 to 1100 rpm for cruise speed. Have plenty of extra hp to run the
genset, only need aprox 85 hp to run boat at cruise speed. The cat is
rated at 225 hp. Would like to have some spare hydraulic umph to also
run a hydraulic controlled rudders. Won't take much for that. Need to
know what pump/motor/flowcontrol configuration I should look for to
make this work. Also, the pto unit has an air operated engage unit
and the genhead I was looking at has a field disconnect that could be
coupled to the tach to disconnect if rpm to low to drive the motor at
the needed 1800 rpm. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have no
problem working on anything, just don't have much experience with
hydraulics and don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

I always found the people who supply custom replacement hoses to the
building industry to be very knowledgable about these things, and willing to
give advice. I would try them first.