Howard

Default Desperate Troll

Don White wrote:
Howard wrote:

Roger,

Last summer I took the trip from Shelburne to Sydney through the Bras
d Or. Wonderful trip.

This summer I hope to make it to St. Pierre - and back. It was my
first sail (excepting that unfortuante incident in a Sunfish down in
Belize.) I made it, single handed, in a 33' 20 year old steel boat
I bought in Shelburne.

Liverpool I could miss. Lunenburg was very neat. *Stayed a couple of
days at the RNSYS in Halifax. Too far out of town for sight seeing.*
Then up to Sheet Harbour, Barra Straight (got caught against a nasty
steel bulkhead for a day.) Then a few nice days in Washabuck River
before going on to Sydney to put her on the hard at the North Sydney
Yacht Club. Great place. Burned down a couple of years ago, they
have rebuilt the bar, are working on the docks. Great sense of
priorities.

Next year - maybe Bonavista Bay and my Grandparents home.

In the mean time, if you need a quick fix, try this site.

http://www.wright-photo.com/newfound.htm

Howard

"Stayed a couple of
days at the RNSYS in Halifax. Too far out of town for sight seeing."

Say what! The squadron is a 12-15 minute drive from downtown. The city
transit service has a bus stop within 200' of the gate. I bet the
Squadron tender would have crossed the arm and let you off at the public
wharf foot of Oakland Road. From there you could walk downtown.
Another option would have been to take your boat out of the arm, round
Point Pleasant Park and sail up the harbour to the 'free' public dock at
Purdy's Wharf. You could stay there an afternoon no problem and
yes..everything is within walking distance from there.

Ah well, live and learn. I'll have to save it for the next time.
Though I have to admit, just hanging around the dock and having dinner
at the club was, in itself, rewarding. It is a very nice place.