posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne.B

Default Lower Fore-stay add on question

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 19:15:23 GMT, "Thomas Wentworth"
wrote:

I've been thinking ... how do you go about adding a forestay or short
headstay or what do you call it stay ,,, for a storm jib?

Ok, connect to mast and run wire to deck .. duh?

The deck connection ,, this is where I get lost. Doesn't the stay base need
to be bolted through deck to some type of bulkhead of something? What do
you do if there is no bulkhead below?

How can you support the stay base in the forward part of the deck?

It is usually called a baby stay or inner forestay. The most
effective way to provide support to the attachment point is to have a
welded lug on the backing plate under the deck. From the lug a short
length of rigging wire and turnbuckle runs to a support in the bottom
of the hull similar to a chainplate on the centerline. This gets in
the way of the V-berth area of course so it is sometimes made
detachable with a quick disconnect lever so it can be removed when not
needed.