Dennis Pogson

Default Nautical Charts

Wayne.B wrote:
On 2 Mar 2006 05:29:17 -0800, wrote:

Here's a little follow-up on what NOAA is doing with the nautical
charts.

Dave, thanks for the information, and kudos to NOAA for finally
realizing that we shouldn't have to pay twice. I was always infuriated
by the sweet heart/monopoly deal that Maptech was awarded in the past.

The online chart viewer seems to work well and is a nice addition.

Here in the UK, the UK Hydrographic Office will not allow us to receive
tidal information through software such as Tides32 since it (theUKHO) deems
that all such info belongs to the UKHO, and must be paid for. Unable to
control the tides, they control the information about the tides.

The British Government very cleverly "privatised" the UKHO, making it a
profit-making body, whilst retaining all the Crown Copyright rights it had
had as a government body.

Who carried out most of the depth surveys you see on British charts, The
Royal Navy of course, at taxpayers expense! The depth info is also Crown
Copyright, unless you happen to hit an uncharted rock, then it becomes your
problem.

Like I said, you are so lucky across the pond.

Dennis.