posted to rec.boats.electronics
Lynn Coffelt

Default Objective of NMEA

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
In article ,
"Lynn Coffelt" wrote:

Looking at the website, I notice they have whole new designed radomes

replace our crappy 2D domes that rain inside and rot the potmetal

guts.
Hope the new one is sealed up.

"Sealed up" being a theoretical state in the marine environment, of
course. Do the Raytheon open array antennas still have drain tubes to

sling
water "in case" there should be any "condensation"? Hmmmmm?
Got about 12 liters of water out of an 8 foot Krupp Atlas one time.

The
beautiful, almost new, 64 mile radar would only get echos from about

half a
mile.
A good "TR down" installation had one or more mica "dams" in the
waveguide to keep from having wet feet in the pilot house (or the

"void").
Old Chief Lynn

After that Krupp had run for a couple of weeks, all that water would
have been excited to steam and gone, if the Maggie lasted that long......

Bruce in alaska

Well, we did put in a 5kw 2J42 just to see what would happen (because
we were ill prepared, and that's what the tube kit had)...... but in a few
hours it just didn't ring very well at all. Bob ???, an old Radar Electric
guy taught me that the best tool in the kit was an earphone. You could tell
almost anything going on in a pulse maggie with such beauty and ease.
"Bob ???" had a reputation with Decca 050's and 101's almost as great
as "George" from Ketchikan. I owed Bob much of my livelihood for a few years
for his ability to teach me by telephone! He could play the guitar almost as
well as he could diagnose Decca Group 9's weird behaviors.
Old Chief Lynn (050's forever)