posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Default Dutchman System

Dave,

I have and use a Topping Lift. I find it much simplier than a Solid
Vang. I can use it in very light air to lift the Boom and let the Main
increase its draft. I can un-clip it and store it at the foot of the
mast ( Which I often do, but use it when Moored) Doesn't change any of
my reasons.

I also use it to provide help for the back stay when sailing with the
150% Genny only. Which I do often. With Mid Boom sheeting tensioning
the topping lift I can match Sail pressure without hoisting the Main.
Without "Dutchman Lines" blowing in the breeze:^)

I, myself. think the Dutchman System is a very poor substitute for Lazy
Jacks. Also; cost more, create more wear, require more rigging and
require custom sails and sail covers.

I'll stick with the LJ, thank you!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma