posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

Default Honda EU2000i

"Gordon Wedman" wrote in
news:tTlNf.9542$vC4.1272@clgrps12:

I have been looking at these as well and believe the EU2000 is plenty
large enough for most boat applications. I think it will easily power
a 50 amp battery charger and thus recharge a days battery use in 2
hours. I believe the EU1000 is about 25 pounds and the EU2000 about 49
pounds. The cases are nearly the same size.

By the way, guys, Hayes Equipment has some really neat, but pricey,
looking accessories to many of these gensets. I'm especially interested
in their wireless remote starting kit for the EU3000i in my van. The
hackers started working on a wired remote starting system for the EU3000i
as soon as it was released. The big drawback is the engine runs SO lean
it will NOT start without pulling the manual choke knob. The hackers
solved the problem, easily, by removing the choke knob and installing the
12V choke solenoid out of an outboard motor with a push button choke,
like the outboard motor has at their remote starting station. I know
someone who built one and it works fine. To crank the genset, he simply
parallels the circuitry of the keyswitch on his 3000i to the remote
station in his camper. The 12V DC from the 3000i starting battery also
powers his choke solenoid circuit. Flip the on-off switch to ON, press
both START and CHOKE pushbuttons and she fires right up. Release the
start button immediately, then release the choke button 15 seconds later
or when you hear the engine load up choked and she's running for as long
as the gas holds out.....

I think he had $25 in his remote station installation, not the $399 this
neat wireless system from Hayes costs. Still, I have this vision of
cranking the 3000i from inside the house an hour before I leave in the
truck so it will already be cool all summer...a cool idea!

http://www.hayesequipment.com/portab...emote_start_ki
t.htm