posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Dutchman System

Good point about the sail cover, the Dutchman does
require a custom sailcover with zippers for the sides
at the monofilament. However, they go on nearly as
fast as a normal sail cover and given that the sail needs
at most a few tugs to pull straight, the amount of work
a Dutchman saves more than offsets the time needed to
zip two zippers.

There is no problem with twisting the sail using a
Dutchman system. I do it all the time. There is no
negative impact on sail shaping--this is one reason why
I like it.

"Thom Stewart" wrote

I still prefer "LAZY JACKS" with full batten main to the"DUTCHMAN."
Mostly for the ability to remove the "Jack" completely from the Main
Sail. With the "Jacks" drawn to the Goose neck I have a completely clear
sail. I feel that a free sail has better ability for sail shape control;
especially Twist.

With the "Jacks" in place, I can get the same control in dropping the
sail and also allows the use of a standard Sail Cover. With a "Free
Footed Main" I have the ability to completely wrap the sail in a
standard sail cover; Free from contact with the Boom.

With the "Jacks" drawn; to free the Leech, the sail is free to Hoist
without problems