rhys

Default Stove alcohol - how dangerous?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:18:40 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:18:55 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

If that bottle of stove alcohol in your cockpit locker leaks and
drains into the bilge, how much danger is there of explosion or fire?

Alcohol mixes readily with water and that will quickly reduce its
flammability below the danger level in most cases. The real risk with
alcohol on boats (other than consumption), is with the old fashioned
pressurized stoves. They have probably caused more boat fires and
burn injuries than any other single reason. Another problem with
alcohol is filling a stove that is already hot, typically because it
has run out while in the middle of cooking dinner. It is very easy
for the vapors to ignite in that situation and the flames are
difficult to see in sunlight.

I had two bad flare-ups with alcohol and finally converted the
Homestrand to propane. I haven't finished the installation (the rules
just changed here recently and apparently all that copper tubing in
the forepeak is no longer applicable) and use a Coleman camp stove in
the cockpit. That and the barbeque suffice, but I already use the
gasoline/propane sniffer in the bilge and it works well. I have all
the pieces except the new "to spec" tubing...I just have a few more
pressing jobs this spring...like new portlights.

R.