posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Lessons of a tragedy....Roller furlers suck

"DSK" wrote

Bart Senior wrote:
I have had only one a roller furl fail. That was in horrific
winds. I was able to lower the sail without any trouble.

I've never had a roller furler fail.
We were sailing in company with a friend who left his dockline laying on
the foredeck, and the tail of it jammed the rollerfurler in a T-storm.
All the cases I know of roller furlers "failing"... at least, after about
1990... was due to either improper installation or poor maintenance. Now,
back in the 1970s and previous, materials were not avalable to build them
strong enough & with low enough friction. Those old-timey units were a
problem.

The boat was a Soling with retro fitting furling. It was a
custom system that caused me a bit of grief. I'd taken it
apart a few times and played with it. Truthfully, it should
have been thrown out.