posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default I still prefer single handing

Dave wrote:
On 27 Feb 2006 07:44:38 -0800, "tom" said:

Maybe you should try to get your family involved in the sailing.
Let the 9 yr old take the wheel when you have the room, etc
everyone will enjoy it more...

It take it that's what he was doing. What he's saying is that it didn't work
for anyone. I congratulate David on being realistic enough to recognize
reality and enjoy it.

We have done family sailing for many years and I have lost count of the
number of times I have taught my wife how to tie a bowline or even to
put a line on a cleat. It isnt important to her so she forgets
quickly. She did take sailing lessons many years ago. My 9 year old
may "connect" with sailing but my older kids did not. However, my wife
objects to me taking the 9 year old sailing without her. In spite of
what Katy says, divorce isnt likely after being married over 25 yrs.
The realization that I am a safer and better sailor when I am alone
really surprised me but it fits in with how I operate at work. I have
never been a team player (yes, its a personality flaw but it works for
me) and do my best work alone. In fact, I find my brain nearly shuts
down around co-workers so I must be alone to do real work. My wife is
very sociable and is easily distracted by people and ignores the boat.
I admit, I fiind guests aboard to be a distraction I dislike. Being
the ultimate geek physics/engineer, my love for sailing is with problem
solving and this is hard to do with distractions.
A larger boat is a poor solution because I think my 28' is the ideal
size for single handing.
We will continue to do family sailing, but I really want to do single
handing too. I've tried various strategies like always wearing my
auto-inflate harness/lifejacket, wearing a personal EPIRB and strobe,
having the cell phone with me, etc. to alleviate her fears for me. Any
suggestions?