posted to rec.boats.electronics
Eric Fairbank

Default what size wire to use for 30amp 12v circuit ?

Where did you hear that myth??? Iv'e been a marine electronics tech for 30
years and have never heard that one. I know what you stated is total bs but
just for drill I did a little test before leaving work today. Hooked up a
variable power supply to my Icom 735 with a Bird 4381 power analyst in line
(which reads PEP directly). I also verified the wattmeter readings using an
o-scope. The power didn't start to drop til the voltage dropped below 10.5v
and I was able to receive just fine all the way down to 9.5v. Below that the
rig started to die.

Eric

"Bruce in Alaska" wrote in message
It is commonly understood that for each volt dropped from 13.6 VDC
at the radios PowerAmp DC Terminals, you lose 50% of your PEP Power.
So if your at 13.6 Vdc you get your 150 PEP, and at 12.6 VDC you
get 75 PEP, and at 11.6 Vdc you get 35 PEP and below 11.0 VDC
the internal Voltage Regulators drop out of regulation and the
radio goes OFF.