Harry Krause

Default Push-Pull Knob Engraving?

Griss wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:10:55 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

But what is under that chrome? It will be exposed.

=================================

Good point, usually the chrome plate is relatively thin with brass
underneath that will turn green with exposure. Art supply stores sell
"press on" lettering sheets in various styles and colors. If you
clean the chrome with acetone, the lettering should stick. After
that, I'd protect it with several coats of clear lacquer.

Hey another idea - a guy I know recently got some custom press-on adhesive
lettering done at an auto body shop. It would normally be done to stick on
to a car (duh), but he used it for fake headstock inlay on a guitar and it
actually looked pretty good. They do it with computer. I'd really guess
they could do anything in any size. I'll bet you could get the lettering in
separate letters, or printed on a clear or colored background in any size or
shape you needed.

I'm also thinking that I would check at the sort of shop that sells and
installs custom doo-dads for cars (striping, tinting, stereos, custom flaps
alarms, grille covers, bumpers, etc. etc.). I've seen some pretty
customized graphics on cars, and again, I'd think they could do it small and
anything that would stick onto a car would stick on to your knobs.

Finally, I've had stick on door lettering done for business vehicles -
gotten them from printing/logo type companies. Although they generally
require a batch. Thus, the autobody/trim shops (which I know do one-off
stuff) is a better bet.

In fact, since you've given me the idea, I'm going to check into getting
custom stick on labels for all my knobs, switches and circuit breakers.
Great idea, thanks!

Griss

The wafer-thin "metallic" labels some commercial label-maker shops
produce might work, especially if adhered with the high-tech glues to
which they have access. The metallic mylar capacity labels found on boat
transoms might be an example of these. But unless you find a place that
has a huge selection of made-up labels from which to choose, they might
be expensive.